suspect, 37-year-old Danish convert to Islam on suspicion of radicalization


Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 10:31 a.m.

Through Sudinfo with AFP

Norwegian police on Thursday presented the alleged perpetrator of an archery attack that left five dead the day before in Kongsberg (south-east) as a 37-year-old Dane who converted to Islam, with whom she had been in contact in the past for “fears of radicalization”.

“There have been fears related to radicalization previously,” Norwegian police official Ole Bredrup Saeverud said at a press briefing. These fears, which have given rise to follow-up, date back to 2020 and before, he said.

“We had not had a report on him in 2021, but before,” said the police officer.

Five people died and two others were injured in the attack which shocked the peaceful Scandinavian kingdom, already ravaged by two far-right attacks in the past decade.

The police had already indicated that the suspect, arrested shortly after the facts around 6:45 p.m. local (4:45 p.m. GMT) Wednesday evening, resided in Kongsberg, a small town of about 25,000 inhabitants about 80 kilometers west of Oslo.

A Danish citizen, he used a bow and arrows to shoot his victims, although the police also mentioned other weapons.

“We are investigating to confirm that the man was acting alone, we have no information to the contrary, but we are continuing the investigations to be completely sure,” added Mr. Bredrup Saeverud.

While remaining cautious about the possible motives of this bloody new episode, the police had not ruled out a terrorist act Wednesday evening.

Source

suspect #37yearold Danish convert Islam suspicion radicalization

 
For Latest Updates Follow us on Google News
 

PREV The FIQ gives Quebec formal notice for “abusive use” of compulsory overtime
NEXT 24H on GAMERGEN.COM: a next-gen patch for Dying Light, a price for the new Nintendo Switch Online, and something new in Animal Crossing