Age-related macular degeneration – AMD – is a disease of the retina that can lead to loss of central vision. It is a degradation of part of the retina – the macula – due to aging. This disease affects people over 50. Items of information with Dr. Qin, ophthalmologist at Delta hospital (Chirec).
La DMLA is a degenerative disease of the retinal center – la macula – which occurs in people over 50 years old, generally between 65 and 95 years old. It is estimated that more than 8 in 10 people are affected. It’s here leading cause of irreversible blindness in developed countries in the western world explains Dr. Qin, ophthalmologist at Delta Hospital.
La macula – center of the retina – is the most important area, She is responsible for seeing details, recognizing people and reading. This disease can in particular be detected via a background ofeye ; a examination with a slit lamp, that is to say that we put a magnifying glass which passes through the pupil and which thus makes it possible to see the retina to observe whether this macula is affected by macular degeneration or not.
- Central mink drop
- Image distortion
- Letters that dance when we read
- We no longer recognize faces
- Sometimes we see a black spot
The genetic factor; AMD is often inherited. If there is a family history, there is more risk of having it. It is therefore important to screen it, even before the age of 65.
“When we look at the fundus in general patients, we can sometimes already see a sign of aging of the retina called age-related maculopathy, this is the precursor stage. deposits on the back of the eye and it is known that this person may develop AMD in the future “ specifies our specialist.
Dried : the most common affects 90% of people with AMD; the macula atrophies and degenerates. The consequences are deformities and a decrease in central vision. For this form of AMD, there is no treatment; we can only take preventive vitamins to reduce the progression.
- Humid : concerns 10% OF AMD; there are abnormal new vessels invading the retina from the layers behind it. The result: The disease causes fluid to flow into the layers of the retina and worsens vision. Treatment: injection into the eye to restore vision. However, often after several years wet AMD becomes dry AMD.
- If you have a history of AMD, it faout make a screening around fifty and do a check-up at theophthalmologist once every two years
- Blue light, over the long term, can be a risk factor. But no convincing study proves it but in animals, it tries to demonstrate it. It would therefore be wise to protect his eyes with blue filters on the glasses or on the screen concludes Dr. Qin.
Find “La Grande Forme” live from Monday to Friday from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on VivaCité. Did you miss the show? We invite you to review it on Auvio as well as on different Podcast platforms such as: Pocket Casts, Podcast addict, Google Podcast ou encore Apple Podcast.
Receive every Friday morning the events, contests and the Vivacity news.
OK Do not show again ×